Monday, December 30, 2013

Follow and be free!

At first, sin seems to offer pleasure and freedom. The liberty to do anything we want gradually becomes a desire to do everything.  Then we become captive to sin, bound by its "yoke".  Freedom from sin's captivity comes only from Yahweh. He gives us freedom, not to do anything we want, but to do what He knows is best for us. Strange as it may seem, true freedom comes in obeying Yahweh - following His guidance so that we can receive His best!

The above statement brings to my mind a book I read once where the author was trying to explain why we should want God's guidance over our own -- even when it doesn't make sense.  She was vacationing in a high rise condominium with a glass wall that faced the beach. (I bet those views were breathtaking!) She talked about how she would wake up and just stare out b/c she could see the ocean and beautiful clear skies for miles. She would watch for hours as people swam out and enjoyed the clear blue water in the sun. She said that the water was so clear that she even could see deep holes in the ocean floor. She recalled shouting from her window to people (who couldn't hear her obviously) to watch out for the potholes they were heading towards. She caught herself shouting things like "danger! go back or no! swim more to the left!. She could also see the marine life in the ocean and wanted to direct people to go and enjoy the pocket of fish that were floating at a short distance. She had the epiphany at that moment that this is how it must be for God. He has much more knowledge than we do, just as she had more knowledge by being up higher than those who swam below in the actual ocean.

That analogy stuck with me and really helped me to move when I heard God saying move, even when it didn't make sense. Admittedly, sometimes I was so shaken by the idea of having to move, but so thankful for God's word in Phillipians 1:6 that assured me that I would be fine as I listened to Him.  Looking back, I realized that as I continue to move at His direction those initial hang-ups and hurts that caused me to love the "cover up" of sin were exposed and healed. I can't say the process was painless, but I am definitely feeling more and more free! It is because of this journey in Christ that we must continue to press (Phillipians 3:14).

No comments:

Post a Comment